Watsadler Campground is a 36 acre site consisting of a relatively dense cover of pine and mixed hardwoods. The area is open year-round and is one of Hartwell’s most popular camping destinations. The site presently offers camping and boat launching facilities to include 1 gatehouse/entrance, 2 park attendant campsites, 51 public campsites with full water/electric hookups, 3 comfort stations (2 with showers), 1 dump station, 1 boat ramp, 1 courtesy dock, 2 playgrounds, and associated paved roads and parking areas throughout.
Fishing is one of the most popular activities at the lake. Sought-after species include largemouth bass, bream, crappie, catfish, striped bass and hybrid bass.
The lake appeals to boaters of all kinds, whether their specialty is canoeing, sailing or motor boating. Coves and areas of quiet water provide water skiers with excellent surfaces.
Swimmers will find sand beaches and designated swim areas in many parks along the shoreline.
The site presently offers camping and boat launching facilities to include 1 gatehouse/entrance, 2 park attendant campsites, 51 public campsites with full water/electric hookups, 3 comfort stations (2 with showers), 1 dump station, 1 boat ramp, 1 courtesy dock, 2 playgrounds, and associated paved roads and parking areas throughout.
Hartwell Lake is a man-made lake bordering Georgia and South Carolina on the Savannah, Tugaloo and Seneca Rivers. The dam and lake area boasts 8 campgrounds and 11 day-use facilities that are operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers.
The Hartwell Project was originally authorized for hydro-power, flood control, and navigation. Later, recreation, water quality, water supply and fish and wildlife management were added.
Surrounding vegetation allows for plenty of shade, and the 962 miles of shoreline provide numerous swimming beaches, picnic areas and boat ramps.
Charges & Cancellations
– Once your reservation has been created, there will be a $10.00 fee to cancel and a $10.00 fee to change your site or dates.
– Cancellations made the day before, or up to the day after your arrival date will also be charged the first nights use fee.
– Reserved campsites will be held until check out time ( 2 p.m.) on the day following your scheduled arrival date. If you do not arrive at campground by 2 p.m. to fulfill your reservation, your reservation will be cancelled and you will be assessed a $20 service fee and forfeit the first nights use fee.
– No-shows are charged a $20 fee plus the first nights use fee.
– If your reservation is for one night and you have been charged the first nights use fee, there is no $10 service fee.
– To insure fairness for all Recreation.gov customers, any reservation with departure dates outside the 6 or 12 month maximum window cannot be changed or cancelled until 18 days after the reservation is made.
– Refunds must be requested no later than 14 days after scheduled departure date. Refunds may be requested through Recreation One Stop Customer Service at 877-444-6777. Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card. Cash and check purchases will be refunded by check and may take up to 8 weeks for approval and processing.
Watsadler Campground Address: 286 Watsadler Road, Hartwell, Ga 30643.
From I-85 North in Georgia, take exit 177 onto Highway 77 towards Hartwell, Georgia. In Hartwell, take Hwy 29 North towards Anderson, South Carolina. Continue approximately 4 miles, take a Left onto Watsadler Road; entrance will be a short distance down on the right.
From I-85 South in South Carolina, take exit 14 (Hwy 187) and follow Hwy 187 until the 4-way stop with Hwy 29. Take a right onto Hwy 29 towards Hartwell, Georgia. After crossing into Georgia, continue approximately 1.5 miles and take a right onto Watsadler Road, campground will be a short distance down on the right.
888-893-0678 (HARTWELL LAKE OFFICE)