Sunset Campground is situated on the shores of Union Valley Reservoir, among the towering cedar and ponderosa pines of Eldorado National Forest. Aptly named, the campground is a fantastic destination for colorful sunset views over the lake. All water activities are popular here, but it’s also fun to bring a bike and explore the neighboring bike trail.
Eldorado includes the famed gold mining territory of the 1800s. Remnants of the days of the California Gold Rush can be found all around the region.
On the water, sailing, boating and swimming are very popular. For hikers and bikers, the Union Valley Bike Trail and Bassi Falls Hiking Trail are great for exploring. Fishing in the lake includes rainbow, brown, mackinaw trout and kokanee salmon.
The bike trail connects with the campground, near the boat ramp, and stretches for 4.8 miles along the eastern shores of the lake.
The large campground has 131 single-unit sites including 30 tent-only spots. Amenities include a boat ramp with an accessible boarding dock, a paved parking area, dump station, vault toilets and drinking water. A swimming beach is also located onsite.
Sunset Campground sits in the Crystal Basin at an elevation of 5,000 feet. Some sites are fully shaded while others sit in a meadow. The climate is similar to that of the Mediterranean with warm, dry summers and cold, wet winters.
Venture to the nearby lake, Ice House Reservoir or hike up Twin Peaks to look down over Union Valley Reservoir.
A restaurant and general store are within 5 miles of the campground.
Charges & Cancellations
- Recreation Fee: Recreation fees are the fees a visitor pays for things like overnight camping, a day-use pavilion, group facilities, a tour or a permit. Recreation fees vary by location and/or activity.
- Reservation Fee: A fee may be charged at the time a reservation is made to cover the cost of reservation services. This fee is in addition to the Recreation Fee and is non-refundable. Fees for camping, day use, group sites, cabins and lookouts: $8 if made on-line; $9 if made through the call center; $3 if made in-person.
- Change Fee: A service fee may be charged at the time a modification is made depending on the changes.
- Cancellation Fee: A $10 service fee will be withheld from any refunds for a cancelled reservation. Customers who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days before the arrival date will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night’s use fee.
- Cut-Off Window: The latest date and/or time that you can make an advanced reservation or a change to an existing reservation. Cut-off windows can vary by location, but are typically 4 days before your arrival date. A customer who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night’s use fee (see Late Cancellation below).
- Late Cancellation: If you cancel your reservation too close to the start date, additional service fees may be withheld.
On Highway 50, east of Placerville, travel for 21 miles to the Icehouse Road turnoff on your left. Continue north for 16 miles to the campground.831-245-6891comments@AmericanLL.com