Situated on the banks of the Deschutes Wild and Scenic River, Mecca Flat Campground is located just a mile and a half from Oregon State HIghway 26 near Warm Springs. The site features 13 family campsites and one group use area. The southern terminus of the 7-mile long Trout Creek Trail can be accessed directly from the campground.
Know Before You Go:
- All campsites, including the group use area are open year-round on a first-come, first-served basis; no potable water is available.
- The 1.6 mile Mecca Flat Road is narrow with few pullouts; use caution particularly when pulling a trailer.
- Access the nearby non-motorized Trout Creek Trail which fronts the Deschutes Wild and Scenic River for 7 miles where it terminates at Trout Creek Campground.
- Cell phone service is not available in the campground.
- Goathead, also known as puncturevine, is present in the area; protect your pets and bicycle tires
Point of Interest:
The Deschutes Railroad ran on portions of the nearby Trout Creek trail and Mecca Flat Road for several decades, competing with the Oregon Trunk Railroad before abandonment in the early 20th century. Look for the historic, now-abandoned tunnel near Highway 26 – but stay clear of this degrading structure.
From Madras, Oregon :Drive 12.4 miles north on State Highway 26. Immediately before the Deschutes River crossing, turn right and look for the brown Mecca Flat Road sign. Turn left on this road and drive another 1.6 miles to the site along the narrow single-lane road.541-416-6700BLM_OR_PR_Mail@blm.govBLM_OR_PR_Mail@blm.gov