The Bear River Group Campground offers four separate group campsites on a site above the south side of the Lower Bear River Reservoir. The proximity to water and the mixed pine setting in the fresh Sierra Nevada air, makes this campground an excellent group retreat destination.
Upriver from the campground is the Upper Bear River Reservoir. This lake is smaller and spans 166 surface acres with 2.5 miles of shoreline.
Lake activities include fishing, swimming, boating, canoeing and picnicking on the shores. Rainbow trout are found in abundance throughout the season, in addition to smaller populations of brown and mackinaw trout as well.
A short distance past the Upper Bear River Reservoir is the Pardoe Trail, which borders the Mokelumne Wilderness. The trail runs up the top of Squaw Ridge to an elevation of over 9,000 feet, providing excellent views of the surrounding area.
The campground is designed for tent camping only. Campstie 1 fits 50 people while the other three sites accommodate 25. Piped drinking water, vault toilets, picnic tables, campfire rings and a group cooking area are among the amenities.
Bear Group Campground is situated an elevation of 6,000 feet, just a short distance (approximately one mile drive) from the reservoir.
It is part of the Eldorado National Forest located in the central Sierra Nevada. A Mediterranean climate extends over most of the forest with warm, dry summers and cold, wet winters.
Restaurants, boat rentals and a general store are within a few miles of the campground.
Charges & Cancellations
- Recreation Fee: Recreation fees are the fees a visitor pays for things like overnight camping, a day-use pavilion, group facilities, a tour or a permit. Recreation fees vary by location and/or activity.
- Reservation Fee: A fee may be charged at the time a reservation is made to cover the cost of reservation services. This fee is in addition to the Recreation Fee and is non-refundable. Fees for camping, day use, group sites, cabins and lookouts: $8 if made on-line; $9 if made through the call center; $3 if made in-person.
- Change Fee: A service fee may be charged at the time a modification is made depending on the changes.
- Cancellation Fee: Customers who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days before the arrival date will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night’s use fee..
- Cut-Off Window: The latest date and/or time that you can make an advanced reservation or a change to an existing reservation. Cut-off windows can vary by location, but are typically 14 days before your arrival date.
- Late Cancellation: If you cancel your reservation too close to the start date, additional service fees may be withheld.
From Jackson, California, travel east on State Route 88 for 39 miles and turn right (south) on Bear River Road. Travel 2 miles to Y intersection and stay to the right side, going across the dam. Drive .5 miles past South Shore Campground to Bear Group Campground, which will be located on left side of road.209-295-4360N