Balsam Campground is located on the banks of pretty Hobble Creek just 12 miles from Springville, Utah, at an elevation of 6,000 feet. Visitors enjoy fishing and exploring local trails.
Rainbow and brown trout fishing are popular on Hobble Creek. A few hiking, biking and horseback riding trails are in the area,. Deer Springs Trail begins at the top of the campground and is 1 mile long. Dry Canyon Trails are in the area. Left Fork and Days Canyon Trail can be accessed by nearby Cherry Campground. Kirkman Hollow Trail is accessed along the main road 2 miles to the south. Scenic driving above the campground is available for off road vehicles.
The campground contains one group site that can accommodate up to 100 people. It contains picnic and serving tables, a campfire ring, and cement site pad. This group site is a walk-to site accessed by a steep, paved trail from the parking area.
Single family sites are available as well, with picnic and serving tables, and campfire rings with benches. Vault toilets are provided.
Maple, fir and cottonwood trees forest the area, providing partial shade, beautiful fall color and some privacy between campsites. Hobble Creek runs through the campground.
For facility specific information, please call (385) 273-1100.
Deer Spring Trail begins at the top of the camp and is one mile long. Left Fork Days Canyon Trail and Kirkman Hollow Trail, for hiking, biking, horseback riding and dirt biking, can be accessed at nearby Cherry Campground.
Hobble Creek road is a narrow road tunneled with thick trees and winds through steep mountains. Almost any turn of the road offers a great chance for a short hike. The paved road ends 8 miles up the canyon and continues to climb until it reaches over into Diamond Fork Canyon.
Charges & Cancellations
Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation.
- Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
- You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival.
- Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night’s use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night’s reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night’s use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night’s use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night’s use fee. Cancellations for a single night’s use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
- Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
- If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under “Late Cancellations” above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.
- Customers must request refunds no later than 14 days after the scheduled departure date. Recreation.gov will not grant refund requests after 14 days of departure.
- Reservation Fee: For some facilities, tours or permits an additional reservation fee is charged. For some overnight and day-use facilities, an additional non-refundable reservation fee may apply. The non-refundable reservation fee for tours and tickets is $1.00. The non-refundable reservation fee for permits varies by location.
- Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card.
- Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note: Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
- Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded. Reservation fees for free tickets are non-refundable in the event of an emergency closure.
Recreation.gov Billing Information
- Reservation transaction will appear on customer’s credit card statements as “Recreation.gov 877-444-6777.”
Changes to Policies and Procedures
- Recreation.gov reserves the right, when necessary, to modify reservation policies. These policies were last updated July 2018.
From I-15 take Springville exit 260. Continue east, towards Springville, through the intersection of Main Street and Highway 400 South. At the four-way stop at the end of 400 South, turn right onto Canyon Road. Keep heading east up Canyon Road for about 6 miles. After passing Hobble Creek Golf Course, the road will fork; stay to the right. Balsam Campground is approximately 6 miles from the golf course past the junction of Forest Roads 132 and 058.
SPANISH FORK RANGER DISTRICT 801-798-3571 OR UTAH RECREATION COMPANY 385-273-1100comments@AmericanLL.com